Pastel Hair 101

Tuesday, January 22, 2013


As many people have asked me how I did my pastel pink hair and what dye did I use; might as well make a blog post about it. This is not a tutorial post as I do not have the materials ready to take some photos but think of this as a tips and tricks kind of thing. Just a disclaimer though, I AM NO PROFESSIONAL; this is just the way I did it.


The first thing you need to do to get nice pastel hair is to BLEACH your hair. Caution; your hair will be damaged after bleaching it so don't expect healthy hair after bleaching it. You can help it a bit but you won't have the look and feel of healthy hair. If you are ready to take the plunge, you can grab any bleach from your local beauty supply shop and bleach your hair. I used a 40vol/12% developer.

Don't rush it though. Do not leave it on your hair for more than 45 minutes because yes... YOUR HAIR WILL MELT OFF. Don't even try it. And do not rush the process, I bleached my hair 2-3x to get a really light color and I did take care of it in between bleaching.

If you are aiming for a cool color, you have to tone your hair using toner or even a purple shampoo to get rid of the yellowy or orangey tones on your hair. Pastel dyes don't look pretty on orangey hair. It just looks muddy and yucky. As I dyed my hair a kind of a warm toned pastel pink, I didn't need to tone my hair. The light blonde was okay in that case.

Another tip is to use healthier hair dyes; SPECIAL EFFECTS, MANIC PANIC, DIRECTIONS, ETC. They do make a difference. You already fried your hair once with the bleach so no need to do more damage.



As for myself, for my pastel pink hair; I used Special Effects Atomic Pink diluted with white conditioner. Yes. Conditioner. To get a more pastel effect; mix the dye you want to use with white conditioner. I used a silicone-free conditioner BTW, because I think the silicone will hinder the dye from sticking to the hair. I left mine on for about 4 hours too. I suggest not washing the dye too soon, also, You can leave this on for however long you want because it's not damaging.

When you have rinsed every thing out; you will probably have pretty pastel locks. Remember to shampoo your hair seldom so that the dye will stay on longer and I don't know if this helps but it's what I do; I use a SLS and silicone free shampoo for my hair. It's much expensive but it makes my hair condition better considering how much I have fried and killed it. Hahaha!


I hope you guys liked this post and I hope you have learned a thing or two about pastel hair.

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. love it <3
    i want to dye my hair pastel too xDDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I love your hair! Love the pastel pink color. :) It really looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bleach my hair a lot too, haha. I was thinking of going purple or red later down the line when I'm sick of my current hair. It also helps to use hair masks and hair treatments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you went for pastel pink, such a difference! Your hair looks pretty damages now but if you take good care of it it will regain it's good condition, at least I never had a big problem even after bleaching; just make sure to always use conditioner and at least once a week a hair mask! But I guess you already know this, I love your new hair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adore your hair colour~. So pretttyyy. And this is definitely helpful to folks determined to go pastel at home. :]

    I already had a platinum blonde and purple adventure in high school, so I'll just have to live out my hair dreams through you. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the tips! ^^
    Right now, I'm not ever going to bleach my hair - but hm, could change! ^^

    http://www.joyjoii.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. woah pastel pink color ..love it <3
    you look so cute!

    www.miharujulie.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh thats so cool. i shall try this! you look adorable with pastel hair!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments and I'll reply as soon as I can! Thanks for visiting my blog. ╲(。◕‿◕。)╱

Like us on Facebook

Spirit Animal

Subscribe